All Whiting School of Engineering master’s degree candidates must meet the requirements found below.
- Every student must register for a minimum of two semesters as a full-time, resident graduate student (not applicable to bachelor’s/master’s concurrent students).
- Every student must be registered in the semester that degree requirements are met.
- A minimum of fifteen credits are required for technical course completion
- Every student must provide certification by a department or program committee that all departmental or committee requirements have been fulfilled.
- All courses applied to the master’s degree must be at the 600-level or higher. Courses at the 400-level require technical advisor permission. At their discretion, individual graduate programs may institute a higher course level as the minimum for their own students.
- Every student must earn the master’s degree within 5 consecutive academic years (10 semesters). Only semesters during which a student has a university-approved leave of absence are exempt from the ten semester limit; otherwise, all semesters from the beginning of the student’s graduate studies–whether the student is resident or not—count toward the ten semester limit.
In addition, the following coursework requirements apply specifically to students in the MSEM program:
- Candidates must complete all required courses.
- No grades lower than C may be applied to the degree; only one C will be counted toward the degree.
- All courses must be at the 600-level or higher.
- Withdrawing from a course is not a guarantee. IF you need to withdraw from a course, the withdraw must happen early in the semester.
- The course requirements and options are described elsewhere on this website. Departments sponsoring technical tracks may impose stricter requirements for coursework within the track.
At the discretion of the student’s advisor, an MSEM student may be permitted to double-count up to two JHU courses (in accordance with conditions in the WSE Policy on Double-Counting Courses).
MSEM’s double counting policy:
For classes offered at both the 400 and 600 level, students MUST take the course at the 600 level to apply the course to their Masters’ degree. This cannot be changed after the course has been completed. If BS/MS students take more than two 600-level courses and do not need them for BS graduation requirements (i.e. the BS degree audit places these excess courses in the Undesignated category), they can count them towards the completion of their MSEM degree.
**Please note: Per MSEM policy, non-JHU courses will not count toward degree completion.